Searching for ways to stream PBS on your devices? Check out this article for a complete guide on how to live stream PBS in 2023.
PBS or Public Broadcasting Service, is the primary public broadcaster in America that offers a range of content that caters to different age groups. This includes a variety of programs like children's shows, documentaries, news, and local programming, as well as comedies and dramas from various countries.
PBS has been expanding to provide more choices for its audience, particularly for those who have canceled their cable TV subscription, known as cord-cutters.
It is now possible to access numerous local and national PBS programs without the need for a paid TV service. This article will guide you on how to stream PBS shows with your devices.
Section 1: How to Stream PBS?
You can watch it for free by visiting their website or using the PBS app. On Roku and smart TV devices, you will need to activate the PBS app after downloading.
1.1 How to Stream PBS on Roku
The PBS Video channel is accessible on Roku streaming devices. However, you will have to download and activate the PBS Video channel before you can use it to stream on Roku.
1.1.1 Download and Activate PBS on Roku
To download and activate the PBS Video channel on your Roku device, follow the steps below.
- On the home screen of your Roku, choose the "Streaming Channels" menu. Depending on the Roku device you have, this menu may be called "Channel Store" instead.
- After that, there will be a list of the channels that are available for your Roku device. To find PBS Video quickly, go to the "Search Channels" menu and type "PBS" into the search box.
- Next, there will be a list of results, which will include the PBS Video channel. Choose this result from the search results and select the "Add channel" option. The download process will start.
- After the download is finished, You can find the PBS Video channel icon on your Roku's home screen.
- Next, select the PBS Video channel to continue the activation.
- You'll see a screen that tells you to activate the PBS Video channel. Select the "Activate Now" button.
- After that, instructions for activation and a 7-character activation code will show up on the screen. Every device has a unique code, so make sure you've double-checked yours before moving on.
- Visit pbs.org/activate and enter your unique code using a mobile or a computer, then select the "Continue" button.
- Use your Google, Facebook, or PBS account to sign in. If you don't have any of these three types of accounts, select "Don't have a PBS account? Create one here", then follow the instructions. If you have the PBS Passport benefit, sign in with the same account you used when you first set up your Passport benefit.
- After you sign in, you should see a screen that says your Roku device is now activated.
1.1.2 Stream PBS on Roku
After downloading and activating the PBS Video channel, you can start streaming popular PBS shows. Follow these steps to find and watch shows on the PBS Video channel.
- Open the PBS Video channel.
- On the home screen, there will be options for the channel on the left side of the screen and rows of shows and videos.
- Click on one of the shows, then select the "Play" button to start watching. Select the "Add to My List" button to save the video to your personal list, which you can access from the home screen of PBS Video. To see more episodes of this show, you can click the "More Episodes" button or scroll down.
1.2 How to Stream PBS on Smart TV
The PBS app is available on AppleTV, Samsung Smart TV, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. You will have to download the PBS app before you can use it to watch your favorite shows.
1.2.1 How to Stream PBS on Samsung Smart TV
The PBS Video app is available on Samsung Smart TV models for 2017 and later.
The application is free to download and use, and no activation fee is required. To download the application, you must create or sign into your Samsung account.
- Click the "Home" button on your remote.
- Using the arrow controls on your remote, highlight the Apps option on the Home screen of your Samsung Smart TV. Select "Apps" from the menu.
- Highlight the magnifying glass icon or the search function on the Apps screen of your Smart TV and select it. Depending on your TV model, the search icon might be on the left bar or in the top right corner.
- Next, type "PBS" and look for the official PBS Video app. If you are unable to find the PBS Video app, your device may not support the app.
- Click the "Install" button to start the download and install process.
- After the process is finished, you can open the app from this screen. You can also access it from your Home menu, where it will be listed alongside your other applications.
- When you launch the PBS Video app for the first time, you will receive a code to activate the app at pbs.org/activate.
- The code you receive will be device-specific. Use the activation link on your computer or a web browser, and then input your alphanumeric activation code in the white field displayed on the screen.
- After that, you will be asked to log in Facebook, Google, or PBS account.
- Once you are signed in, you will be able to enjoy your favorite show on your Samsung Smart TV.
1.2.2 How to Stream PBS on Apple TV
You can watch PBS videos on Apple TV, but you must first activate the app. The activation stages are identical whether or not you possess the Passport member benefit.
- Open the "App Store" app from your Apple TV home screen.
- Select the search icon (magnifying glass) on the top right side of the menu and type in "PBS".
- After that, select the "PBS" app and press the "Get" button to start the download process.
- Once the app has been downloaded successfully, you will have the option to launch it from this screen or by returning to the Apple TV's main screen and selecting the app icon.
- After that, you will need to activate the PBS app by visiting the activation link on your phone or computer.
- After you get the activation code, launch the PBS app, enter the code, and select the "Continue" button.
- At this point, you should be able to stream PBS shows on your Apple TV.
1.3 How to Stream PBS on Smartphones
Follow these steps to download and install PBS on your Android/iOS phones.
- Firstly, open the Play Store (Android) or the App Store (iOS) app.
- Next, type in "PBS" on the search bar.
- After that, pick the "PBS Video: Live TV & On Demand" app from the search results and press the "Install" button.
- After the installation is finished, launch the app and log in with your credentials to watch your favorite show on your phone.
1.4 How to Stream PBS on PC
To stream PBS on your PC, you only need to visit their website. You can directly watch your favorite shows with no account required.
Section 2: What to Watch on PBS?
There are many popular shows that you can watch on PBS, such as:
- All Creatures Great and Small
- Around the World in 80 Days
- Arthur & George
- Atlantic Crossing
- Beecham House
- Churchill's Secret
- Dark Angel
- Death Comes to Pemberley
- Downton Abbey
- Downton Abbey: The Motion Picture
- Elizabeth Is Missing
- Flesh and Blood
- Hercule Poirot
- Home Fires
- Howards End
- Indian Summers
- Inspector Lewis
- King Charles III
- Les Misérables
- Little Women
- Magpie Murders
- Man in an Orange Shirt
- Miss Marple
- Miss Scarlet and The Duke
- Mr. Selfridge
- Mrs. Wilson
- My Mother and Other Strangers
- Prime Suspect: Tennison
- Ridley Road
- The Chaperone
- The Child in Time
- The Collection
- The Durrells in Corfu
- The Lady Vanishes
- The Long Song
- The Miniaturist
- The Paradise
- The Unseen Alistair Cooke
- To Walk Invisible The Brontë Sisters
- Tom Jones
- Van der Valk
- What the Durrells Did Next
- Wolf Hall
- World on Fire
At this point, you should already know how to stream PBS on your devices. PBS is available on Roku, smart TV, and smartphone. The app is available for free and you also won't be charged for an activation code.
However, before streaming, you will have to download the app to your devices. For Roku and smart TVs, you will need to get the activation code and activate the PBS app before you can use it for streaming.